This Sunday we are celebrating Pentecost, the ‘birthday of the Church,’ which is always a festive joyous day at Redeemer. Be sure to wear your red – and immediately after worship, we invite you and your children to join us in the planting of the 2015 Giving Garden. The seedlings are ready to be put in the earth and Donna M. will lead us in the planting.
The Giving Garden, now in its sixth year at Redeemer, provides a unique two-fold opportunity to answer God’s call to creation care. We care for God’s creation first by nurturing the plants, helping them reach maturity and yield nutritious vegetables. Then we harvest the vegetables and deliver them to the Lexington Interfaith Food Pantry, caring for God’s most marvelous creation, our neighbors that rely on the food pantry to provide nutritious meals for their families.
To do our work we rely on the volunteer effort of our “Giving Garden Shepherds” who donate a week of their time throughout the summer to water the garden beds, as needed, and to harvest mature vegetables on Saturday morning and deliver them to the food pantry.
Thank you to everyone who has already signed up for volunteer slot to shepherd this summer! If you haven’t signed up yet and would like to join us – there are still four weeks available.
- WEEK FIVE: June 28 – July 4 *see NOTE
- WEEK SIX: July 5 – July 11
- WEEK FOURTEEN: August 30 – September 5 *see NOTE
- WEEK FIFTEEN: September 6 – September 12
* NOTE: The Food Pantry will be closed on July 4 and September 5 for the holiday weekends. Volunteers should plan to harvest vegetables these weekends and bring them to church on Sunday to share with the COOR community.
If you are able to help, please email James Surprenant at firstname.lastname@example.org. The remaining slots will be assigned on a first-come, first served- basis. Many thanks!